Current time: 12-13-2019, 05:20 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Reply 
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Compress images: "FAILED (couldn't decode image)"
10-26-2010, 01:59 AM
Post: #1
Compress images: "FAILED (couldn't decode image)"
For some of my images, the Compress Images test reports that it couldn't decode:
"FAILED (couldn't decode image) - http://s3.amazonaws.com/cantoni.org.blog...iphone.jpg"

Does anyone know the cause of that message? The images exist at those links and have already been compressed with SmushIt.

Test results:
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/101025...ess_images

thanks,
Brian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Post: #2
RE: Compress images: "FAILED (couldn't decode image)"
I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what is going on. Pagetest uses libjpeg to decompress the images and it's possible there's something specific to those images that it doesn't like.

FWIW, SmushIt only does lossless compression of jpeg's (stripping out meta data, etc). Where you'll usually see benefit in jpegs is to compress them at a lower quality level (without sacrificing the image visually). We use "Photoshop save-for-web quality 50" as the baseline but you can usually do better than that (and testing on the iPhone image it dropped from 5.2KB to 4.5KB).

Thanks,

-Pat
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Post: #3
RE: Compress images: "FAILED (couldn't decode image)"
Looks like the decoding problem is pretty widespread and is probably linked to the upgrade to Page Speed 1.9 (which swapped out the image libraries that Pagetest uses). I'm looking into it now and should have it fixed before the end of the day.

Thanks,

-Pat
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2010, 04:53 AM
Post: #4
RE: Compress images: "FAILED (couldn't decode image)"
(10-26-2010 03:47 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  Looks like the decoding problem is pretty widespread and is probably linked to the upgrade to Page Speed 1.9 (which swapped out the image libraries that Pagetest uses). I'm looking into it now and should have it fixed before the end of the day.

Thanks for investigating that, and got the point about JPG quality -- I've been focused on SmushIt and haven't though to reduce the original quality setting.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2010, 05:57 AM
Post: #5
RE: Compress images: "FAILED (couldn't decode image)"
ok, I just fixed the image decoding problem (fix one bug, introduce another - sigh). The fix should be deployed now so everything should be back to normal, sorry for the inconvenience.

-Pat
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Post: #6
RE: Compress images: "FAILED (couldn't decode image)"
(10-26-2010 05:57 AM)pmeenan Wrote:  ok, I just fixed the image decoding problem (fix one bug, introduce another - sigh). The fix should be deployed now so everything should be back to normal, sorry for the inconvenience.

Confirmed it's working fine now - thanks for the quick fix!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)