Current time: 07-21-2019, 11:51 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge first time to bytes
10-12-2011, 05:31 AM
RE: Huge first time to bytes
Thanks Pat.

On my WordPress site's it is indeed the affiliate plugin causing the long first byte time (simple disable/enable plugin test as you suggested). I take there is nothing I can do my end to increase these calls as the bottleneck is the affiliate site end?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2011, 05:32 AM
Not unless you can cache the results of the calls or work with the affiliate to make them faster. Depending on where the affiliate site is hosted you might be able to speed things up by moving closer to their servers (if a lot of calls are made) but there aren't a lot of good options.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2011, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess I'm at the mercy of the affiliate sites. Many of these are eBay affiliate sites, so caching the results isn't an option.

Thanks for all of your help too - your speedy and knowledgeable replies are second to none..

Rick.
Find all posts by this user
10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
You might still be able to do something, depending on what the plugin is doing and how much work you want to do. If the plugin is making more than one request out to a given affiliate site you might get some benefit from routing the requests through a proxy that maintains a pool of persistent connections to the affiliate (odds are the requests from the plugin itself each set up a new connection).

You can also go further and build something that makes the requests in parallel and then gathers the results but that's quite a bit more involved (right now it probably makes each request individually and serially).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user