WebPagetest Forums
First view : More than 20 secs ! - Printable Version

+- WebPagetest Forums (https://www.webpagetest.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Web Performance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discuss Test Results (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: First view : More than 20 secs ! (/showthread.php?tid=845)

First view : More than 20 secs ! - fanboss - 06-16-2011 03:34 PM

Hello,
Just to prevent you : I have got a horrible level of English.... Just as a prevention...

The test is showing me that the first view take 23.763s to load.
That is huge... I guess... It's actually my first website so I don't know.
I still have 96/100, and I used many site analyzer as Page Speed Online and others, and all of them showed me as this site great results ! So why is it that slow for the first view...

The problem I have is that my website needs MANY images (an hundred I think) and no, i can't use sprite and CSS to avoid this big loading.
I heard of "Parallelize downloads across hostnames", but how does it work exactly, and is it really helpful for me ? I understood the point of this (the browser which load only 6 things at the same time) but I didn't understand what to do to correct it.

The other problem is this : Keep-alive Enabled --> F. I'm on a mutualized hosting, so I don't have the power to restart the server or even activate Keep-Alive. But on my host, which is infomaniak, doesn't say anything about it.

Oh and I activated a cache for the static content, but I still receive a F... Why ? (Repeat View = 1.114s).

If somebody could help me... Thank You.

Link of the results : http://www.webpagetest.org/result/110616_XZ_V8FH/

RE: First view : More than 20 secs ! - Marvin - 06-16-2011 10:31 PM

Hi Fanboss,

The tested page has more than 100 files. The "Keep Alive" disabled costs you about 145 milliseconds for every one of your files.

100 files x 140 milliseconds = 14 seconds!

If your current hosting company is unable or unwilling to enable "Keep Alive" for you, consider looking for a new host for the website.

RE: First view : More than 20 secs ! - pmeenan - 06-17-2011 12:25 AM

If your hosting company won't enable keep-alives and you don't want to change providers (though you really should vote with your wallet), you can use a CDN in front of your site and they can take care of it for you. CloudFlare has a free offering that might work for your site.

For the static file caching, if it is less than 30 days it will get a warning and it looks like yours are set for 7 days which is causing the issue with the check (your headers are working fine, they just aren't as long as I would normally recommend). This one isn't NEARLY as critical as the keep-alives.

RE: First view : More than 20 secs ! - fanboss - 06-18-2011 02:43 PM

I contacted my hosting company about the keep-alive function.

I already tried CouldFare... But I can't rename the servers, as I'm on mutualized hosting.

Ok for the cache problem, I understand, but I prefer to leave it at 7 days. Smile

Thanks for the help ! Smile